We thought conditions were going to deteriorate and Jonny was concerned about how bad the seas could get as we crossed the Potomac. But the weather continued to be nice and the bay was amazingly calm. After a lot of discussion we decided to just make it a long day and go all the way to Olverson’s. This was a bittersweet discussion because it would mean ending our seven month cruise a day early and we were not anxious for it to end. But it made the best sense and that’s what we decided to do. Lynn joined Jonny on the flybridge for the remainder of the day because it was warm enough to be up top and we wanted this last experience for our journey. She is knitting an afghan for Stephanie which is serving a dual purpose of keeping her warm in these cool temperatures. It has to be finished before we get to Florida because it’s much too hot to work on it there!
We arrived at Olverson’s around 6 and tied up at an outside dock. We had to wait until the next day to see if we could get into a covered slip without taking down our bimini.
Once we got settled in we celebrated the end of our wonderful journey with a cocktail. We traveled 4,658 miles since we left Miami on April 17. It’s been a fabulous trip and we are sorry to have it end. We’ll look forward to planning for our next big cruise.
In the meantime we would be spending the next several days at Olverson’s prepping the boat for the winter. Jonny had hoped to work with someone at the marina to do it with him so he could do it himself next time. Unfortunately there was no one available to do so. The regular mechanic was recuperating from hip replacement surgery.
Olverson’s is in a very remote part of Virginia and there are very few resources here other than a hardware, grocery, and Dollar store. Fortunately, we have MTOA friends, Liz and Steve, who are keeping their boat here for the winter. Because they are from Minnesota, Steve is very familiar with winterizing boats and has offered to help guide Jonny through the process.
Jonny got to work the next day draining the fluids from the engine and adding gallons of antifreeze. Zendo will be in a state of upheaval for the next couple of days while he finishes winterizing and we pack up our belongings.
Poor Georgio is having to be ultra flexible in finding places to perch!
Another MTOA member had left their SUV here and needed someone to drive it to Miami since they were spending the winter in the Keys. This solved our problem of how to bring all our belongings back to Miami. Our plan, if all goes well, is to start the drive home on Monday and hope to be back in South Florida by midweek.