Saturday, August 5, 2023

Kingston, NY

On the morning of Thursday, August 3 we took our time and went for one last walk in Catskill before heading out at noon. We stopped for a pump-out at Hop-O-Nose’s fuel dock and made our way out of Catskill Creek on a grey, overcast day. It was quite windy as we entered the Hudson and fortunately as we turned south it was mostly at our back. We passed the Kingston Lighthouse on our way out.



We cruised almost four hours to Kingston where we turned into Rondout Creek and made our way to the Kingston Maritime Museum which had just a few slips for rent. Fortunately they had one for us so we tied up just across from their boat-building operation.








The cost of dockage included entrance to the museum so that afternoon we visited what turned out to be an interesting set of exhibits about maritime life on this part of the Hudson. 



We decided to stay two nights as we are enjoying a slower pace of cruising. We hadn’t been in Kingston for a few years so we wanted to have a chance to  once again explore this interesting and historic town.

The next morning the three of us, Archie included, decided to venture out. First, we walked through the lower part of Kingston, the area that built up along the waterfront.  It’s an attractive area with several restaurants and interesting shops and lots of historic architecture.








Then we walked two and a half miles uphill to the oldest part of town which is called the Stockade.  This area is especially historic as it was built in1658 as a defense against the friction that was occurring between the Dutch settlers and the Native Americans. There are an amazing number of original stone houses and buildings in this part of town as well as many trendy shops and restaurants. 






In 1777, Kingston was designated as the first capital of the state of New York so there are even more historic buildings from that era. 









The town has its funky, hipster parts, as well.





As we walked back down the hill to the lower part of town, I decided to try and find a salon so I could get my hair cut. Archie and I are both in need of haircuts. I know we can get him into PetSmart near Delaware City but my finding a good salon is usually more challenging. Since we had this afternoon and the next day as a possibility I decided to try my luck.  Google helped me find  a salon that was well reviewed and I called and left a message at one that was just a couple of blocks from our boat. As we got closer I decided to stop in since I hadn’t heard back from them. Unfortunately, the owner was  booked all day but she referred me to another salon right around the corner where she gets her hair done. Fortunately, when I stopped by there, they were able to take me right away. What a lucky break! And I was not only very happy with my haircut but the stylist gave me the best head massage I ever had while she washed my hair! 



Jonny and Archie returned to Zendo ahead of me after stopping for bread at a local bakery. When I returned to Zendo our plan to do a number of chores was interrupted by a couple we had met on their boat at Chipman’s Point. Scott and Betsy who have a very nice Nordic Tug were staying at the marina next to us and saw Zendo as they were walking over to have a drink at a nearby restaurant called Ole Savannah. They stopped to chat and invited us to join them. That sounded like more fun than chores so off we went. We had a good time getting to know them over drinks and appetizers. They are from New City, NY and quite familiar with the area we are in now.



That evening we had leftovers for dinner and went to bed a little earlier because we planned to leave early the next day for a long day of cruising.






No comments:

Post a Comment